Looking back on 2013, I could easily say that it was a shit year and I’m glad it’s over. When death happens, it seems to bring out people’s true colors. My mom died in November, losing her battle with cancer. There were people who we counted as some of our closest friends who we seriously overestimated and people who we didn’t know that well that we seriously underestimated.
I could dwell on all the bad stuff that happened, but the reality is that a lot of awesomeness happened in 2013 too. A few that come to mind include:
- Going to Vegas with the old man to watch the entire 2013 Pac-12 Men’s Tournament from the basketball equivalent of the 50 yard line.
- Celebrating 20 years of being married to the same wonderful woman.
- Taking the wife and kids for their first trip to Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Sicily, Croatia).
- Watching my extended family grow, as my cousin got hitched to a great gal.
- Mending some fractured relationships.
- Eating at crazy good restaurants and checking off lots of items from the Omnivore 100 list.
- Finding out that I work with some of the best people on the planet.
I’m fortunate enough to be able to spend the vast majority of my waking hours with people that I like and doing things that I love. I’d rather focus on that than the actions of a couple of supreme assclowns.